Online applications have been closed for the 2016-2017 school year. Please continue to check this page for the most recent updates on academy enrollment possibilities. Be prepared by becoming familiar with the general application requirements below and by finding the career academy that is right for you.
The online academy application for the 2016-2017 school year closed January 9, 2015. All processed applicants who provided a valid email address will be notified of their acceptance status via email. All processed applicants who did not provide a valid email address will be mailed a letter via USPS. Please continue to visit this page to learn about future application opportunities.
If you need application assistance, please contact the Polk County Schools Workforce Education Department.
Application and Admission Requirements for All Academy Students
- A student should have a genuine interest in the career area for which the student is applying.
- The applicant may not have a past history of consistent, serious discipline problems as defined by the Code of Student Conduct.
- Transportation will not be provided by the school district for out of zone transfers.
- If a student is accepted into a high school career academy or middle school pre-academy but prior to entering that program is reassigned to a district discipline program or expelled due to a violation of the Code of Student Conduct, he/she will be considered ineligible for admission.
- Out-of-zone students who leave a career academy must return to their zoned school.
- Out-of-zone seniors who leave an academy will not be able to remain at the out-of zone school through the use of a “senior transfer.”
- FCAT Scores: In the event that an incoming 9th grader does not pass the 8th grade FCAT he or she may be required to take intensive Math or Reading. These remedial courses may take up elective space within the student's schedule thus not allowing room for academy classes. If this is the case the student would be ineligible for acceptance into the academy.
Acceptance & Denial Letters
- If you completed the online application during the application period you will be sent official notification via email or U.S. mail by May 1, 2016. Please allow up to seven additional days for U.S. mail deliveries.
- If you do not receive an official notification please contact the Workforce Education Department for assistance.
- New this year, all applicants will be selected on a lottery basis.
Charter School Academy Applications
In order to be considered for a Career Academy in a charter school, the student must be currently enrolled in the school. For information on how to apply for charter school enrollment, contact the school directly or contact the Office of Magnet Choice and Charter Schools. This procedure applies to all charter school academies including:
- McKeel Academy - Digital Imagery
Magnet & Choice School Academy Application Process
To complete the on-line application for Magnet & Choice Schools or for more information, please visit the Office of Magnet, Choice & Charter Schools website.
Academies/Pre-Academies affected include:
- Crystal Academy of Science and Engineering (CASE) - Crystal Lake Middle School
- Lights, Camera, Traction! - Blake Academy