If you need application assistance, please contact the Polk County Schools Workforce Education Department.
Application and Admission Requirements for All Academy Students
- A student should have a genuine interest in the career area for which the student is applying.
- The applicant may not have a past history of consistent, serious discipline problems as defined by the Code of Student Conduct.
- Transportation will not be provided by the school district for out of zone transfers.
- If a student is accepted into a high school career academy or middle school pre-academy but prior to entering that program is reassigned to a district discipline program or expelled due to a violation of the Code of Student Conduct, he/she will be considered ineligible for admission.
- Out-of-zone students who leave a career academy must return to their zoned school.
- Out-of-zone seniors who leave an academy will not be able to remain at the out-of zone school through the use of a “senior transfer.”
- FCAT Scores: In the event that an incoming 9th grader does not pass the 8th grade FCAT he or she may be required to take intensive Math or Reading. These remedial courses may take up elective space within the student's schedule thus not allowing room for academy classes. If this is the case the student would be ineligible for acceptance into the academy.
*PLEASE NOTE: Students interested in applying for an academy at their zoned school need to contact their school's guidance department.
Acceptance & Denial Letters
- The online academy application for the 2017-2018 school year will close on January 9, 2017. All processed applicants who provided a valid email address will be notified of their acceptance status via email. All processed applicants who did not provide a valid email address will be mailed a letter via USPS.
- If you complete the online application during the application period, you will be sent official notification by April 15, 2017. Please allow up to seven additional days for U.S. mail deliveries.
- If you do not receive an official notification, or have any further questions, please contact the Workforce Education Department for assistance.
- NOTE: Students who applied to an academy at their zoned school will not receive notification. Please contact your school guidance department for admission.
- All applicants will be selected on a lottery basis.
Charter School Academy Applications
In order to be considered for a Career Academy in a charter school, the student must be currently enrolled in the school. For information on how to apply for charter school enrollment, contact the school directly or contact the Office of Magnet Choice and Charter Schools. This procedure applies to all charter school academies including:
- McKeel Academy - Digital Imagery
Magnet & Choice School Academy Application Process
To complete the on-line application for Magnet & Choice Schools or for more information, please visit the Office of Magnet, Choice & Charter Schools website.
Academies/Pre-Academies affected include:
- Crystal Academy of Science and Engineering (CASE) - Crystal Lake Middle School
- Lights, Camera, Traction! - Blake Academy
- Modeling + Simulation - Bartow High School International Baccalaureate