The Criminal Justice, Law and Career Academy will provide students with a broad base of courses not typically offered in high school. This is an opportunity for in-depth experience and study in specific areas of interest.
Students will explore academic and career information in corrections, courts, law enforcement, emergency management, forensic science and juvenile justice. Additionally, students will have the opportunity for studies in pre-law and other law-related fields, e.g. Mock Trial Team and Police Explorers Program.
Students will take academic and occupational courses within a career theme and at the same time begin to develop individual career aspirations. By the senior year, students will be prepared for post-secondary education and/or a career.
- Leadership and hands-on training through laboratory and classroom work and simulations.
- Classes taught by certified instructors/practicing law and criminal justice professionals.
- Compliance with appearance and grooming standards.
- Academy uniform worn to school at scheduled times.
- Field trips and internships at local criminal justice and law facilities.
- Law and criminal justice professionals as mentors to support students’ achievement through graduation.
- Senior internship, portfolio and capstone project.
- Students with a 3.0 average in criminal justice courses can articulate with nine credit hours upon acceptance at Polk Community College.
- The Criminal Justice Academy program is included as part of the Vocational Gold Seal Scholarship program. For more details see the director or guidance counselor.